Many Congleton businesses want to reduce their carbon footprint and help protect the natural environment. They do this as part of Corporate Social Responsibility and also because, increasingly, clients and employees expect it of them.
In this section
Here you will find some Green Business information:
- A Green Business Case Study: Congleton Hydro and Siemens
- Green Business Awards
- Green Business Resources
There are lots of things you can do as a business, including
- Reduce energy use
- Switch away from fossil fuels to clean energy sources
- Introduce a cycle-to-work scheme
- Reduce travel (especially by air) by having online meetings
- Flexible working practices to reduce employee commuting
- Change the products and chemicals you use in your business
- Avoid single-use plastics – for example at drinking fountains and in canteens
- Plant trees and hedges
- Serve less meat in work canteens and cafes
- Buy local produce wherever possible
- Offset carbon that you can’t avoid emitting.
- Remember the mantra – reduce, reuse, recycle.
Check out our Green Business Resources for access to business support.
Our Congleton Town Hall Bridestones Suite has facilities for hybrid meetings, so that you can have part of the team in the room (up to 30 for boardroom-style or 60 for a workshop) and the rest can connect using videoconferencing software (e.g. Zoom or Teams) and use high-quality sound and video from the room. You can learn more and book Town Hall facilities here.
You could attend our annual Green Fayre and learn from the experts including local charities and providers of green products.
Congleton Town Council has produced a free eLearning Course: Sustainable Living in Congleton.
This takes between 15 and 30 minutes to complete and has sections on the home, transport, food and waste, with lots of links to other information and resources. It is targeting mainly residents, but much of the advice applies to businesses too. Why not also encourage all your team to take the elearning course and reduce their own environmental footprint at home?
The East Cheshire Chamber of Commerce now has a Progress towards Carbon Neutrality Award each year which you can enter via their website: https://eastcheshirechamber.co.uk/
Why not get your team involved in a local sustainability project as a team away-day? For example
- If in season, you team could arrange with the Trees for Congleton Group for a team-building tree-planting day
- Organise a team-building day with the Cheshire Wildlife Trust’s Wilder Team Programme.
- Choose from a variety of sustainable team-building events by Forest of Hearts.
Last updated: 18th November 2022
Featured image by pch.vector on Freepik