Congleton won North West in Bloom Large Town category in 2013, 2015, 2016 and again in 2017! In 2014, 2016 and 2018 we had the honour and challenge of representing the North West in the national finals of Britain in Bloom.
In 2018 Congleton received GOLD in the National Finals of Britain in Bloom. We also received a Gold in North West in Bloom and won the Cheshire Civic Pride Awards. Congleton in Bloom has now entered it’s 21st year of making Congleton a cleaner and greener place to live, work and visit.
Congleton in Bloom 2019-20 Aims and Objectives
- To make Congleton an attractive place to live, work, shop and visit.
- To provide opportunities for the community to become involved either individually or in groups.
- To make Congleton a clean, green town through anti-litter campaigns, organising litter picks, removing graffiti, fly posting, improving local grot spots and recycling campaigns.
- To support the retail sector and promote tourism by providing attractive floral displays and green spaces.
- To raise standards and promote the town by entering competitions such as North West in Bloom and the Cheshire Civic Pride Awards.
- To encourage Eco Schools and gain green flag awards, encourage bio diversity, energy conservation and the growing of local food.
- To involve young people in taking an active role in Congleton in Bloom.
How you can help
Help to Make Congleton Weed Free! Weeds are a growing problem in towns across the country. Changes in legislation on strengths of weed killers, along with reduced council resources means that if we are going to enjoy weed-free streets, more help is needed from local people. the In Bloom team spent hours clearing the judging routes, but it simply wasn’t possible to give the same attention to all areas of the town. The majority of weeds are in front of houses or businesses. If the occupiers could spend 15 minutes a couple of times a year, many of the weeds could be cleared, provided of course, that it is safe to do so! Ahead of next year’s competitions, the team would love everyone to play their part in making Congleton weed free.
Britain’s Spring Clean: What can you do in your area? Monthly Clean-Ups will be announced in the News and Events section of the website.
Groups can get involved by: Organising a litter pick (pickers and bags provided) the next coordinated clean-ups are:
Neighbourhoods can get involved by: Setting up a Neighbourhood team (Buglawton and Bromley Farm already have) – and get some support for improving your local area.
Shops Hanging Baskets: These were placed on the shops at the end of May 2019, bringing colour to the Town Centre.