Learn Congleton defibrillators

Staying Safe At Home

Last Updated: 27th November 2022

Are you worried about staying at home with your partner or a family member? Do you feel unsafe in your home because of someone’s behaviour? Help is available. 

Local help is available.

To access the Congleton Domestic Abuse Clinic or the Cheshire East Domestic Abuse Hub (CEDAH):

Important advice

If you’re worried about someone knowing you have visited this web page please read how to take steps to increase your safety online

Are you living in fear of your partner or family member?

Have they:

  • Called you names and made you feel bad about yourself
  • Made you afraid by threatening you or your children
  • Behaved violently towards you
  • Stopped you seeing your friends or family
  • Kept you without money
  • Do you feel you could be seriously harmed


  • You are not to blame
  • You are not alone
  • You can get help
  • You are already a survivor
  • You can get your life back
  • You cannot change the person who is hurting you but you can take steps to make you and your children safer.

Are you concerned about your behaviour? 

There is also help for you if you want to change the way you behave in your family and relationships. The good news is that people who abuse can change but almost always need some help to achieve it, especially where abuse has been a pattern of behaviour for some time.

MyCWA have produced some resources to help people at home when stress begins to escalate, to stay in control of their emotions and prevent harmful situations. You can download them here:

See the Cheshire East Help to Change page for more information and contact details for support.

Is your child being violent?

Cheshire East Domestic Abuse Partnership has produced some resources for parents who experience extreme behaviour from their young or adolescent children. The intention is to increase the safety and wellbeing of children, parents and carers, and provide strategies to support families in ways that promote caring and responsibility.

Having read the booklet if you feel that you are experiencing Child to Parent violence then it is important to seek help. A guide to sources of support is available at the end of each booklet, or see the Domestic Abuse Hub links and numbers below.

Child Violence to Parents Booklet

Adolescent Violence to Parents Booklet

Are you concerned about someone else’s safety? 

You can get advice about how best to support the person you care about too. You can speak to someone by phoning the Hub or you can get tips and advice from Open the Door or from myCWA.

Cheshire East Domestic Abuse Hub 24/7

Cheshire East Domestic Abuse Hub (CEDAH) is a single point of contact, information, consultation, referral, triage and case allocation for families affected by domestic abuse and those who support them – formally or informally. 

High risk cases go straight to the Independent Domestic Violence Advocacy team. Hub staff call all other people referred in to identify what package of support is best for the whole family.

This support is provided by myCWA working in partnership with others. 

Useful Contacts:

Cheshire East Domestic Abuse Hub 

Congleton Domestic Abuse Clinic

Congleton residents can access a weekly clinic, provided by myCWA in partnership with Cheshire Police and supported by CTC.

At this clinic you can get advice on all aspects of domestic abuse and violence, in private and with no obligation. There is a monthly peer support group for survivors, held at the same place.

If you’re unsure about what to do, worried about someone’s (or your own) behaviour or need advice or support on any aspect of a situation (practical, legal, financial, safety), please contact myCWA for an appointment on 0300 123 5101 or by private message on facebook. Appointments can be face-to-face or over the phone.

Adult Safeguarding – out of hours

Call 0300 123 5010 or 0300 123 5022

Children’s Safeguarding – out of hours

Call 0300 123 5012 or 0300 123 5022

Housing options / homelessness team – out of hours

Call 0300 123 5017 or 0300 123 5025

Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre

Call 01260 697900

Men’s Advice Line

For male victims, call 0808 801 0327 or visit http://www.mensadviceline.org.uk/

Alternatively call ManKind 01823 334244 (9am-4pm)

Galop – for members of the LGBT+ community

Galop runs a specialist helpline – call 0800 999 5428 or email help@galop.org.uk.

More information is available on the Cheshire East Website

Always phone 999 if in immediate danger

If you are in immediate danger and afraid of speaking on the phone, call 999 then press 55. This will transfer your call to the appropriate police force who will help you without you needing to speak.

See also our Where to go for support page.