Congleton has been selected to host a leg of the prestigious Queen’s Baton Relay as the baton begins a national tour of England ahead of the start of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in July.
The relay aims to build momentum for the games and inspire more people to take up sport in their community. Cheshire East Council will be working with Congleton Town Council, local sports clubs and community groups to build the event into a showcase of the town’s sporting talent and heritage.
So far, Congleton is the only non-city announced as a host for the prestigious event. The English leg of the relay will begin in Manchester on the morning of May 31, before arriving in Congleton for 12pm. The baton will stay in Congleton for two hours before departing for Sheffield.
Cheshire East Council’s Deputy Leader Councillor David Brown welcomed the news. He said; “This is fantastic recognition for the town and will allow us the chance to showcase Congleton’s sporting heritage as well as involve local sports clubs and community groups in the celebration.”
The Congleton East councillor added: “As a former Mayor of Congleton, I am particularly proud that we have been selected. It was down to our leisure team’s excellent application to the games’ authorities. We saw with the turnout that greeted the Olympic torch relay that the people of Congleton can be relied on to come out and do the town proud and I’m sure they will again.”
Cheshire East Council Leader Michael Jones said: “This is a fabulous opportunity to show the best of Congleton and Cheshire East on a national stage and we will be working with all interested parties to make this a very special occasion.
“We want local groups to really get behind the Queen’s Baton Relay and help us turn May 31, into an opportunity to put Congleton on the map.”