Congleton gearing up for Tour of Britain in September
As ideas pour in for dressing Congleton and creating a fabulous festive feel to the start of day three of the Tour of Britain – the UK’s premier cycle race – Congleton Town Council is appealing for help to turn the ideas into reality!
The race will start in Congleton between 10.30 and 11am on Tuesday 6th September. Some of the world’s best cyclists will start arriving around two and half hours before the start of the race, along with thousands of fans and spectators. Teams from Cheshire East and the Tour of Britain are working on the logistics of the road closures and the race. The Town Council and partners are working on making the town look fantastic and ensuring visitors enjoy being in our town.
The route, which is still waiting for the final clearance from the Tour of Britain, is likely to start in Market Street and make its way up the High Street, Lawton Street, Mountbatten Way, Mill Street, Swan Bank, West Street, West Road, Holmes Chapel Road, Box Lane and out on the Sandbach Road towards Wallhill where the race will start in earnest.
At this stage Congleton Town Council is keen to talk to
- Congleton businesses or groups that want to do something special on the day for people coming into Congleton – whether opening early, food and drink offers, accommodation offers.
- Businesses that may be interested in sponsoring a competition to design the start flag through schools – around £1000 in sponsorship/prizes.
- Businesses that may be interested in sponsoring/helping the schools to produce Tour of Britain Banners to go out around the route – 16 banners – around £1000 total sponsorship
- Businesses that may be interested in helping sponsor Congleton Cycling Club’s Tour of Britain’s promotional/charity cycle ride the ‘Cheshire East Tour of Britain Charity Sportive’ on Sunday 4th September
- People who can help paint old bikes
- People who have old bikes or bike wheels that they wish to donate
- Groups, organisations or individuals who want to help entertain the crowds ahead of the race setting off or that wish to put on any events in the lead up or immediate aftermath of the race.
Congleton Schools have already agreed that they will be closed on the 6th September, and so we want to make this very last day of the school holidays all the more special for local families as well as visiting guests.
The latest information and opportunities to get involved in the Cheshire Stage of the Tour of Britain can be found at www.cheshiretourofbritain.co.uk. If you are able to help with the Congleton part of the race in any way please contact Congleton Town Council on 01260 270350 ext 2, email email@example.com or call into the Tourist Information Centre and ask to speak to Jackie MacArthur. Alternatively you can email Cllr Suzie Akers-Smith on firstname.lastname@example.org