A typical example of a municipal Victorian pleasure ground, the park was opened in 1871 with the pavilion opening in 1887 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. The layout of the park was designed by Edward Kemp who had worked under the supervision of Joseph Paxton at Chatsworth. Russian cannon from the siege of Sevastopol were sited in the town wood.
The River Dane runs alongside the park and the town woods stretch up behind it so that natural features are joined with the formal planting schemes beloved of the Victorians. A Millennium Committee of four local community stalwarts initiated and led the renovation of the park, the band-stand and the Pavilion. The park still has a bowling green, and a drinking fountain that was donated in 1887 by Mrs Howard of Brereton Hall. It houses the old market cross and a children’s playground.
Not in the park, but nearby, are the Daneside Theatre and the Children’s Paddling Pool.
Friends of Congleton Park work to keep the park in superb condition and it is home to events as diverse as band concerts, firework displays, duck races, carnivals, theatre and music, flower and dog shows and any other activity that the community can dream up.