This group last met on the 9th July 2020. The main areas of discussion were around the Streetscape contract which is due for renewal, understanding which Council departments are responsible for the different types of works across the borough and why. The contract budget and schedules were also discussed. The next meeting is planned for the end of August 2020.
The following members sit on this Working Group:
- Cllr David Brown– Joint Chair
- Cllr Margaret Gartside– Joint Chair
- Cllr Duncan Amies
- Cllr Robert Douglas
- Cllr Amanda Martin
- David McGifford- CTC Chief Officer
- Ruth Burgess- CTC Streetscape Manager
Purpose: The Town Council took over the Streetscape services in 2014 from Cheshire East Borough Council with the aim to improve Congleton’s environment and assets with the same budget. The working group has been set up to help improve the Streetscape Services for the residents of Congleton whilst ensuring the team are meeting the quality standards set and working within Health and Safety Guidelines. Whilst the teams grow, further work from nearby Parish Councils and local businesses are encouraged to help them improve their surrounds and environment.
Budget: CTC receive £366.702 from Cheshire East (unfortunately this hasn’t increased to take into account inflation, wage increases, pension increases etc) £15,000 expected from private works and £900 from Astbury Mere Trust for litter picking. We budget to spend £596,969 so CTC budget to subsidise the service by £214,367.
- To review the current operating model of the Streetscape Services, which includes:
- Route Reviews for Street Cleansing Duties and Grounds Maintenance Duties
- Operational methods
- To review with Cheshire East Council the Streetscape Contact, (Renewal date 2021)
- To establish a Sustainability Streetscape Policy which will include a plan for reducing the Carbon footprint for the service to agreed targets
- Establish further Streetscape Private Works to local businesses and Town and Parish Council’s
- Ensure the Health and Safety of all Streetscape Staff and the roles they carry out are kept within legislation and legal requirements
- Congleton In Bloom Awards for both regional (North West In Bloom) and national (Britain In Bloom) competitions.
- Green Flag accreditation for Congleton Park
Next Steps: The growth of the Streetscape Services and what they can offer and achieve for the residents of Congleton.
Partners: This group collaborates with the following:
- Cheshire East Council
- Ansa Environment Services (Cheshire East Council)
- July 9, 2020: Streetscape Development Working Group Minutes