- Make Congleton Town Council carbon neutral by 2025
- In all discussions, debates and decision-making procedures ensure that the climate impact is thoroughly considered and recorded.
- Report back on actions and plans within three months (report to Community and Environment Committee on the 7th November 2019)
Now Congleton Green, a collaborative group made up of a wide range of interested people and organisations, is reaching out to make changes across Congleton.
No-one has the answer, but together we all need to be part of the solution.
There are a number of groups working on initiatives helping to achieve this goal.
Plastic Free Congleton – working to rid Congleton of single use plastic and clear up river ways
Congleton Green – working on a number of initiatives including Tree Planting in Congleton
Integrated Transport Group
Protecting Green and Open Spaces in Congleton – part of Congleton Neighbourhood Plan
Cheshire East Council and Congleton Town Council have set themselves the challenge of becoming carbon neutral by 2025. Could you set yourselves the same challenge?
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has said that to do this we need to:
- Buy less meat, milk, cheese and butter
- Eat more locally sourced seasonal food – and throw less of it away
- Drive electric cars but walk or cycle short distances; take trains and buses instead of planes
- Use video conferencing instead of business travel
- Use a washing line instead of a tumble dryer
- Insulate homes; demand low carbon in every consumer product
- Plant trees
- Quit wasting energy- turn lights off when you leave the room, don’t leave appliances on stand-by but switch them off and save energy! For 100 more ideas to Save Energy in the Home
- Swap to energy saving light bulbs – they may be more expensive to buy, but save energy and can last upto 10 times longer. Fitting just one compact fluorescent bulb can save £3 to £6 per year
- Turning it down- turning your heating down by one degree centigrade could save £75 per year, or even more! Energy saving tips
|West Street Car Park||West Street, Congleton|
|Textiles, Shoes, Oil|
|West Heath Shopping Centre||Holmes Chapel Road, Congleton|
|Paper, Cans, Textiles, Shoes|
|Tesco||Barn Road, Congleton|
|Paper, Textiles, Shoes, glass|
|St. John’s Road, Congleton|
|Congleton Household Waste Recycling Centre||Barn Road, Congleton|
|Textiles, Shoes, Oil, WEEE, Green Waste, Paper, Cardboard, Rubble,|
|1st Buglawton Scout Hut||St. John’s Road, Congleton|
|Bread Bags, Crisp Packets|
|Boots Chemist||Bridge Street, Congleton|